Sketchbook to Blog
Actually, I have never been particularly interested in any kind of art since childhood. I never hated art either; it simply wasn't something I was naturally drawn to. But one day, on an ordinary evening, something suddenly sparked in my mind.
It was a pencil drawing.
Where It All Started
My first pencil drawing was on 30/03/2020. Without any particular interest, plan, or idea, I suddenly picked up a pencil and a sheet of paper and started drawing using a reference image.
I had no special expectations. I simply wanted to see what I could create. When I finally finished it, the outcome was slightly better than I expected. It wasn't perfect, but I was happy with my first attempt.
And perhaps, that small moment was the beginning of something I never expected.
My Second Drawing
My second drawing happened on another fine evening. I was sitting on the rooftop of my house with a sheet of paper and a pencil in my hands. I had a reference image in front of me, and I simply started drawing.
Looking back now, I feel that the place and atmosphere where I created something became part of the memory too. It wasn't just about the drawing. It was about sitting there, holding a pencil, looking at the reference, and slowly bringing the image to life on a blank sheet of paper.
After that, I went on to create many pencil drawings. Each one had its own style and character.
Just a Pencil
For all of my drawings, I used reference images. I never claimed those ideas as my own; I simply used them as references and tried to recreate them with my own hands. What makes these drawings even more special to me is how simply I created them. I mainly used a Doms pencil and paper. I didn't use any special graphite pencils, white pencils, or other fancy drawing materials. Just a regular pencil. That's one of the things I still feel proud of. With such a simple tool, I was able to create drawings that looked much better than I expected.
There were no colours in most of my sketches, but they still felt complete to me. Each one became my own little masterpiece—not because it was perfect, but because I created it.
A Little Christmas Series – December 2022
One particular memory from my pencil-drawing days is connected with Christmas in December 2022.
As Christmas season approached, I started thinking that I could do something a little different that year. Instead of drawing my usual subjects, I thought, Why not try a few Christmas-themed drawings?
So, I started searching for Christmas-related reference images. I didn't choose all of them at once. I searched for different images and, one by one, started drawing them.
The first one I drew was a Christmas bell.
After finishing the bell, I drew a snowman. Then, after Christmas, I also drew a Santa Claus face.
Those three drawings became a small Christmas collection for me. I still remember the process of searching for each reference, choosing an image, sitting down with my pencil, and trying to recreate it. It was a small experiment, but it became one of my favourite memories from that period.
Nature, Snow and the Drawings I Loved
Most of the time, I was naturally drawn towards nature-related subjects. I loved drawing things connected with nature, and among the different drawings I created, there was one particular snow-related drawing that I especially liked.
When I look at it, it gives me a more realistic feeling. Something about the snow, the details, and the way I created it makes that drawing stand out to me.
I have always liked many different kinds of subjects, so it is difficult for me to choose just one favourite. But somehow, pencil drawings always had a special place in my heart.
Trying Human Faces
I also had a desire to learn how to draw human faces.
Since I wasn't very confident about drawing faces, I started with simple attempts. Once, I found an image of a woman on a box at home, and I decided to use it as a reference and tried drawing the woman's face.
I also tried drawing another image that focused mainly on the eyes and mouth.
For that drawing, I wanted to create those little white highlights that you often see in pencil portraits. Usually, artists may use a white pencil or another tool to create those highlights. But I didn't have one. So, I completed the drawing using my pencil and then used an eraser to create the lighter areas and highlights. It was a simple technique, but I enjoyed experimenting with it.
Some Dates, Some Memories
I didn't always remember to write the date on my drawings.
For some of them, I added my signature and the date after finishing them. For others, I even forgot to sign and write the date.
Even though some of the dates and signatures are missing, I can still remember many of the moments when I created them—the day, the surroundings, the atmosphere, and sometimes even the feeling I had while sitting and drawing. I still have all those drawings with me.
One day, I would like to carefully preserve them by laminating them and keeping them safe, so that they can remain as memories for a long time.
Because these are more than just pieces of paper to me. They are little reminders of a particular season of my life.
The Art I Miss
I don't draw pencil sketches anymore, and honestly, I miss it.
Even now, whenever I feel stressed or have a lot on my mind, I sometimes think about picking up a pencil and starting to draw again. In fact, just two days before writing this blog, I found myself thinking about doing pencil drawing again.
There is something about pencil drawing that feels different. When I think about drawing again, I remember how I used to sit with a pencil and paper, concentrate on a reference image, and slowly build the drawing line by line.
I remember the atmosphere, the surroundings, the time of day, and the feeling I had while drawing. Even though I have stopped drawing for now, those memories are still very much alive in my mind.
Why Pencil Drawing Still Matters to Me
I have tried different kinds of art over the years. I have also done colour drawings and other forms of art many times.
But if someone asks me which one I love the most, my answer would still be pencil drawing. I don't think I can properly explain how much I like it. There is something very special about creating an entire picture using just a pencil.
I may not be drawing now, but that doesn't mean that part of my life has disappeared.
Maybe it is simply a season that has come to an end for now. And I'm actually happy that I experienced that season.
I got to discover that I had a creative side. I got to experience the joy of creating something with my own hands. I got to look at a blank sheet of paper and turn it into something that I could keep as a memory.
That's something I will always be happy about.
From My Sketchbook to My Blog
I decided to write this blog simply because I wanted to share those memories.
These drawings may be old, but they still remind me of who I was during that period of my life. They remind me of quiet evenings, simple moments, creative experiments, and the unexpected talent I discovered in myself.
That's something I will always be happy about.
From my sketchbook to my blog, these are not just pencil drawings. They are memories of a season in my life that I am genuinely happy to have experienced.
I have added all my pencil-drawing images below this blog. Feel free to take a look and explore the little collection of memories I have preserved here.









Comments
Post a Comment